Monday, June 26, 2017

A Clean Break

I am no longer associated with Wadjet Eye Games.

In truth, I haven't been working full time for Wadjet Eye since April 2016. Shardlight was a commercial success, but a series of unfortunate circumstances meant I wasn't affordable anymore, and so I had to be let go. There was no animosity or ill-will, but we decided to keep it quiet to avoid questions, especially having just launched a successful game.

Dave Gilbert graciously said he'd be willing to publish my next game, which I had already pitched to him, and which you now may know as Lamplight City. I've been working on it full time but solo over the past year and change. As time has gone on, Dave has played builds of the game and made suggestions, although it's become clearer and clearer that our creative visions for the game haven't lined up.

And so, we decided it was for the best not to go forward with Wadjet Eye publishing the game. This was a mutual decision, and again, no animosity or ill-will exists between us. Sometimes things just don't work out.

As for the future of Lamplight City, I'm still figuring that out. I've already reached out to another publisher, but I'm taking it step by step. Rest assured, the game will still see the light of day, and I will continue working diligently on it.

 

8 comments:

  1. Hope it goes well whatever you decide! For my own game we had a publisher (not WEG) but, not for the same reasons, we decided to part company (a perfectly amicable split btw). We've decided to go it alone... we'll see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad... Well, glad to hear it wasn't a bad break up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it all went well. After playing Shardlight, it'd be nice to wait and see your next creation in the Lamplight City. Wishing you all the best and hopefully this game will be a commercial success too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Francisco is in high demand these days! Well done, sir. You've come a long way, baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck to you on your own endeavours, good sir!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with it, i'm sure it will be a cool game, keep on going! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad that Lamplight City is still on the menu! Good luck with your endeavours & keep the adventure games flag flying high!

    ReplyDelete